Thursday, July 5, 2007

Small Town

Well, we've got hot water and cold air in our camper. Hot air too, if we choose, but now's not the time for it. We've got to get some sort of control device, not unlike a working thermostat, for it. Currently, we've got a bundle of loose wires sticking out of the wall. If you know which ones to hook up, you've got air. Also, I've got to do something about all this internet I don't have. We either need a wireless repeater, or a better NIC. Probably the former.

The fourth was fun. At least, the couple of days before the fourth were fun. The fourth involved us traveling home, and watching a chick flick which my chick didn't enjoy any more than I did.

Before the fourth, we were in the small town my mother grew up in. A town we're thinking of moving to, in order to get medical school paid for. There might be some extra difficulty in that though, I understand they've got some overdone anti-nepotism policies at the hospital. I have a cousin who had some difficulty getting a job there because she has an aunt who works there too. If I run into any problems though, there are a couple of other areas we're interested in too. Areas with a nicer climate, although fewer relatives. If all else fails, there's always the student loan method.

The stay in Smalltown was pretty good. I took my wife out on a quad, exploring some paths with streams running through them. My youngest sister fell off of hers, cracked her helmet right open, but left her head in one bruised piece. She got a few scrapes, and a slightly damaged ankle too, but nothing too bad.

It was good seeing almost everyone. We've got an aunt I haven't seen in probably a bit more than a decade, and about four corresponding cousins I've never seen. Then there's an uncle who I haven't seen too often, and who I haven't seen quite as little as I'd like. Druncle doesn't seem all too bad at first. A bit full of himself, a bit bossy. A bit like a permanent drunk. The bit that really impressed me was when he decided to share his beer with the baby sitting next to him. Wha?!

I understand most people drink. I'm fine at a family gathering, a party, whatever, where people are drinking. No one has ever tried to push it on me. Druncle here, decided that a kid, not quite a year old I think, should have a drink. This isn't like letting a child of yours, who is curious about your wine, have a sip. This is more like getting the cat drunk to laugh at it. Druncle wasn't doing this with his own children either. As far as I know he doesn't have any. No, the kid in question belonged to the aunt who doesn't regularly come around anyway. Nice way to push her right back out. My sister asked the kid if she wanted her juice, and took her away, to which Druncle said, "oh, here come the missionaries to save you." Leave it to the drunk to get too preachy, and to overestimate their own comedic talent. The guy's always hated Mormons, but my sister's not really trying to push her religion around here.

Druncle tried it again, this time the kid's dad stopped him, told him that was enough. They left. Pissed of course. Hopefully we'll see them again soon. Hopefully Druncle will find himself busy with whatever the hell he does the rest of the year, and won't make it down.

That aside, the trip was good. It was really good to see the rest of the family over there. Next year, we should be able to stay for the holiday as well. There's nothing like a big firework show done by a small town. Hope everyone else's holiday was good.

No comments: