Wednesday, August 1, 2007

2.5 x .25

Apparently, I haven't mentioned to everyone that I cut steel now, instead of inspecting fire extinguishers. The job usually runs better than the old one, but not so much today. One of the pieces of steel I cut is two and a half inches by a quarter inch. It's far from the heaviest most difficult stuff that I cut, but today it's my least favorite. It's just thin enough to have quite a bit of spring to it, but plenty heavy enough have a little power behind it when it springs back at you. If you grab a twenty foot length of the stuff by the middle, and toss it onto your table, the middle part which you grabbed it by, it seems, is likely to spring back and smack you on it's way down. Without sharing all the gory details, I'll just say that this piece of metal is number one on my list of the worst things I've smacked myself in the nuts with.

That was the morning. Later in the day, I gave myself a nasty blood blister on the palm of my left hand. It's half an inch, by an eighth. As much as that would normally bother me, it pales today.

So, here's to better days, and healthier nuts.

No comments: