Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Haitian Orphans

It's always sad when things that should matter all the time, only matter because of a current trend, like being nice because of the Christmas spirit. The post 9/11 patriotic surge (which had no small part in the patriot act) was one such event. the tragedy in Haiti is another.

My current philosophy professor said yesterday that he was watching Larry King Live (he claims this is not a common occurrence), and they had rich people who wanted to adopt Haitian orphans. The representative from the adoption agency said they had no more Haitian orphans, but would gladly accept support for other orphans, I don't recall if they were from Somalia, or Mumbai, or what, but the rich lady responded, "No, I want to help someone who really needs it," as if no other orphan could need help as badly.

The professor said, and he seems right, that it seems more like she'd just be embarrassed if all her friends had Haitian orphans, and hers was from the Dominican Republic, or even FROM THE UNITED STATES! One of the other students coined the term "Knockoff Haitian" which accurately describes the phenomenon.

Now, I wouldn't knock any sincere effort to help those less fortunate, but as the adoption agency said, first, there are many other children in dire need of help in the world, and second, adoption is not a spur of the moment decision based on a current trend, but something that should be planned for.

And I thought it was bad when parents got their kids pet bunnies for Easter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always admired people who wanted a baby so much (the US has a scale for this(most of us parents fail)) to adopt abroad. And well I say God Bless You. I'm not very smart in laws and such, but if you want a baby no one else wants... Well then...guess I'm just old/new fashion.
Andrea | 02.04.10 - 1:32 am | #

Anonymous said...

GGWK is here!
Jason | 02.04.10 - 9:30 am | #

Chaelomen said...

I had to repost your comments. I just switched off of Haloscan, as they were going out of business, and there is currently no way to transfer.

Ave said...

That is interesting, I must admit, when I heard about the poor orphans in Haiti, my first thought was "I bet those Jolie-Pitt weirdos will adopt one from Haiti." You are totally right about other children needing adoption just as much in other countries and in our own states. I think that is why I know I probably am not cut out for the task, I would want a child with no baggage, and without medical problems. I enjoy your wifes blog very much, cute family.:)

Chaelomen said...

Thanks. Glad you like her blog. I had to ask her who you were.